Monday, November 10, 2014

Staple Grocery List

I'm going to be very honest with our staple grocery list.  These are the things that I will run to the store for if we run out.

OJ
unsweetened almond milk
coffee
eggs (we go through a lot)
bananas :)
apples
carrots
broccoli
spinach
chicken
plain greek yogurt
local honey
natural pb 
some sort of bread for the kids - they like those sandwich rounds
ezekiel bread - i love the cinnamon raisin
popcorn
blue corn chips
coconut oil
liquid aminos
brown rice - I love the steam bags for crazy nights
onions
sweet potatoes
turkey bacon - this is a new kick we are on
colby cheese
Shakeology - we have 2 bags coming each month and we go through it
waffless - homemade or organic nature's path
rice noodles
organic corn tortillas
red raspberry jam
hormel brand deli meat(preservative and nitrate-free)
shrimp
tilapia 
avocados
black beans

I have these items in our house always.  I can throw together quick and easy meals with these items.  Want to hear a few items on my old list?  Dino chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, eggo waffles, aunt Jemima syrup, diet soda, cereal,  apple juice, fruit snacks, rice krispie treats, and many other things.  I have come a long way.  We are by no means perfect with our eating.  There are things that I've chosen to just not get worked up about or I will go crazy.  I got to a point where I limited so much that we were running out of things to eat.  I feel like we have found a healthy balance for US.  The foods we choose to eat each day make a big difference in our energy levels, behavior, and overall health.  I have noticed an incredible difference in my children.  There are many things that contribute to their behavior - sleep (kids need their rest to function and learn), health (any illnesses), diet (junk versus clean foods), and screen time (and what that is).  This is what I have noticed for MY children.  What they have eaten stands out just like any of the others causes.  How often do we as parents say, "oh, they are not feeling well"  or "they are just so tired" to excuse our children's behavior.  I have MANY times and still do, but I also contribute what they have eaten that day.  Just something to think about.  Give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if anything changes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment